THON Thursday: What THON Means to Us

Last week, I introduced myself and my daughter, Savannah, as your World Campus THON Co-Chairs.  Now I’d like to tell you about our connection to THON, and why it is so important to us.

World Campus THON Co-Chair Jennifer Conway with daughters Savannah (left) and Rhiannon
World Campus THON Co-Chair Jennifer Conway and daughters Savannah (left) and Rhiannon have been participating in THON for years.

Our History with THON and Four Diamonds

I first became involved with The Four Diamonds Fund as an employee in the Office of University Development, Penn State College of Medicine, in Hershey, Pennsylvania. My daughters and I became more involved during my long-term relationship with a man whose son, Nick, was a Four Diamonds patient (we met while planning the World Premiere of The Four Diamonds movie). My daughters and I were very active as Four Diamonds volunteers and attended several THONs as “family.” You never forget the emotions of attending THON: the fun of the line dances and crying while singing “Angels Among Us.”

Mother-Daughter Co-Chairs

When Savannah decided to go to college after leaving full-time active duty in the U.S. Air Force, I encouraged her to check out the Penn State World Campus. I had an ulterior motive – I wanted her to be my THON co-chair! Who better to trust to be your Co-Chair than someone you’ve been training since birth?

Why Get Involved?

Savannah jokes that she learned to count change working at Four Diamonds fundraisers. “As a Penn State student, THON is one of the best organizations I can volunteer my time for. It’s always been a family thing for us, and I’ve always been inspired by it. I want to Co-Chair this campaign because of Nick – in his memory (he passed away six years ago unrelated to his childhood leukemia). This is my opportunity to be part of something that’s bigger than all of us. I’m proud to say I’m part of THON.”

You Can Be THON Proud Too

You can share the laughter, tears, and fun. If you are interested in getting involved, you can e-mail me, message me on Facebook or check out our Penn State World Campus THON Group Facebook page. Or make a tax-deductible donation at the THON site. For “Designation Selection” select “General Organizations.” For “Gift Designation” select “World Campus.”

For the Kids!