Meet the Blue & White Society Executive Board (Part 2 of 2)

In yesterday’s blog post, you had the chance to get to know two members of the newly elected Executive Board of the World Campus Chapter of the Blue & White Society. Today’s post highlights secretary Stephanie Blahut and director of membership John Churba.

Secretary: Stephanie Blahut

Stephanie Blahut

My hope for the board over the coming year: establish a solid foundation for future board members, facilitate an open dialogue between board members and society members through increased accessibility, promote sustainable methods for attracting new society members, and maintain consistency of operational integrity.

What I love about Penn State: the worldwide reach of the Penn State community. As a world campus student, I am cognizant that I represent only a tiny portion of this reach in each of my classes through my interactions with other students. I’ve also read of the positive impact that reach has on global affairs, through alumni stories in The Penn Stater magazine as well as in online forums (e.g., LinkedIn).

I knew that I wanted to be a part of Penn State’s global community, and now I am embracing an opportunity to support its continued growth. It pleases me very much to know that my efforts as secretary to the board will provide additional opportunities for me to contribute to the growth of Penn State.

What you might not know about me:

• I am overjoyed when I see the first snow of the season, and I am still fascinated by outer space.
  • I also enjoy spending time with family, especially my nephews, who I have lovingly nicknamed “the silly beans.”

Director of Membership: John Churba

John Churba

My hope for the board over the coming year: to increase awareness and membership of the BWS for the World Campus. I hope that we are able to increase membership to an even 1,000 members strong and grow out from there by the end of the fall 2011 semester. Hopeful we will be able to offer a true get-together for a Penn State event at University Park within the next year.

What I love about Penn State: the connection made to the University through the various online communications. Plus, the sense of belonging to a university that truly has the students’ and alumni’s best interests at heart. Regardless of the campus attended, I have been made a part of the Penn State family with no qualms. WE ARE…PENN STATE!

What you might not know about me:

• I am old-time, slapstick comedy nut — Abbott & Costello, Three Stooges, The Odd Couple, up to current comedians such as the late George Carlin, and Jon Stewart.
  • I am a sucker for the kids, too. Friends and family know that if one of their kids is looking to raise money for some cause of theirs, coming to me is a no-brainer 🙂