Spring Break

It’s the first week in March. Are bells going off in your head? Does it mean something special to you?

Rehoboth Beach Sunrise.

For some, spring break conjures up images of sandy beaches in warmer climates for a stereotypical non-stop party. For others, spring break represents an opportunity to reach out and help others in a variety of service projects. If you’re an adult learning online, I bet neither of these really applies to you.

And why not? First, learning online is not confined to classroom meetings, so online learners are rarely “off.” It may be a “holiday” with no classes meeting on campus, but we are frequently involved in ongoing discussions that require daily attention. Second, adult learners are usually juggling multiple roles with simultaneous responsibilities. Personally, I have what seems like a never-ending list of things to do and needs to meet and I bet that many adult learners are not that much different.

The bell on the Kalmar Nyckel ship.

If your lists are regularly cleared and you are looking forward to a week of serious rest and relaxation, then I commend you. As an undergraduate, it was rare for me to find myself in that enviable position and now, as a graduate student, there is no such thing as spring break.

If you are planning to forge ahead into spring break at full speed with the usual packed lists and filled calendar blocks, then I hope you’ll consider these options as well:

How about catching up on your sleep?

• When was the last time you didn’t have to set an alarm?

How about catching up with family and friends?

• When was the last time you pushed all the concern about balancing responsibilities aside and spent some quality time with the ones who love you?

How about catching up on your reading of something other than textbooks?

• When was the last time you read something that wasn’t required reading?

How about doing something extra nice for yourself?

• When was the last time you treated yourself to a massage, a shopping trip, or a nice dinner out?

How about using the time to establish a new and improved routine?

• When was the last time you made it to the gym, took a hike, or volunteered at school?

Spring break is a great time to reflect, reevaluate, and revise those regular priorities in order to make room for some of the things that you wish you spent more time doing! Alas, the moral of my little story is that it’s important not to lose sight of ourselves–of our physical health and mental well-being–amid the fantastic balancing act that we maintain to make it all work. There will always be something else to do around the house or the office, so spend some of the upcoming spring break taking care of you!

I took all of the pictures included in this post at one of my favorite getaway spots, Rehoboth Beach. We have taken several trips there over the past five years while I have been learning online. As a matter of fact, using a power inverter and wireless access point with my HP laptop, I finished the final capstone project for my undergraduate degree in the car while we traveled to Rehoboth Beach for a celebration weekend. For me, there’s nothing like watching the brilliance of the sun gradually revealed over the horizon.

So, what does spring break mean to you?

Sunrise through the Pavilion at Rehoboth Beach.