All about the Transitions: College and Career Prep Course

Are you thinking about becoming a Penn State World Campus student, but worrying about how to use the online platform to succeed in your courses? Consider participating in Transitions: College and Career Prep. This course can help you brush up on some of the necessary skills that you’ll need for success as an online learner, such as time management, organization, and tips on how to study for college-level courses. It can also help you decide what educational path to take to reach your career goals.

What is the Transitions: College and Career Prep course?

Transitions is a free and completely online 9-week prep course, structured like one of our actual Penn State World Campus courses, where you’ll work closely with an online instructor to develop or refresh the learning skills you will need to succeed at Penn State.

Benefits of Transitions

This course can help you:

• improve your study skills, including time management, test taking, note taking, and general organization
  • establish your educational plan through discovery of career and personal interests; as part of the program, you will get to meet with one of our career counselors
  • develop basic research, college-level writing, and presentation skills
  • increase basic computer skills, including word processing and use of the Internet and email
  • understand what financial aid resources are available to you

How long will it take me to complete the Transitions course?

You should expect to invest approximately 10 hours per week on the course. This is fairly comparable to a typical undergraduate 3-credit course at Penn State World Campus; our students have reported spending approximately 10 to 12 hours per week on readings and assignments for a 3-credit course.

What do other students think about Transitions?

“Taking the class was the best decision I made (other than selecting Penn State World Campus as my school) when re-starting my education. I had no idea how much I did not know until I took the class. I became equipped in the fundamentals of online learning at Penn State, and it was a great way to get myself acclimated to the requirements that I would be tasked with, once I started my “for credit” course work. The investment was only one of time, and it was well worth it.  I highly recommend it to every student.” – Jeff

“I strongly suggest that prospective students who are considering signing up for the course should do so ASAP. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain! You learn so much in the 9 weeks, not only about college prep material, but about yourself. The proposed 10 hours … is about the amount of time I spent weekly on the course. I am a “planner girl,” so being organized and planning ahead helped me so much! This, coupled with everything I learned (from how to write a college-level essay to the personality assessment I took), allowed me to prove to myself that I am indeed ready, not only for college, but for the online learning environment as well.” – Samantha

“I would say to prospective students who are considering enrolling in Transitions that to not take advantage of this free 9-week course is a disservice to themselves — especially to those who have been out of school as long as I had. I was full of mixed emotions before taking this course. Make the decision to take it one day at a time, and just keep going! You’ll be amazed at what you accomplish during this course. The resources you gain are immeasurable! This course provided me with so many learning tools. It also put me in contact with so many amazing and supportive professors and staff at Penn State World Campus that I know I can lean on for help and support any time I need it. This course gave me the confidence that I needed to continue my journey.” – Melissa

What are the requirements for Transitions?

Transitions is designed to help students who have:

• completed a GED and have not yet gone to college
  • completed a high school diploma, but have been out of school for a period of time
  • attended college in the past and performed poorly
  • been away from college for a period of time and want to brush up on basic skills before returning

This program is open to anyone — not just Penn State World Campus students!

How can I sign up for Transitions?

Contact a Penn State World Campus Admissions Counselor at 814-863-5386 or pennstateonline@psu.edu.