Disability Services: How to Request Academic Accommodations

Penn State World Campus offers a variety of resources and accommodations to students with disabilities.

Although a member of the staff or faculty or an agency liaison can refer you to Student Disability Resources, you can also contact this office directly to discuss resources available or request assistance.

One of the most common reasons for contacting Student Disability Resources is to request course accommodations. Our staff is eager to help you navigate this process as quickly and as easily as possible.

You can request course accommodations by following these steps:

  1. Contact Penn State World Campus Student Disability Resources by completing the contact form or calling 800-252-3592 (Press 1, then 2, then 3). It is also helpful to first review the documentation guidelines.
  2. If the documentation supports the need for academic adjustments, the disability specialist will provide a letter identifying appropriate academic adjustments.
  3. Please share this letter and discuss the adjustments with your instructor as early in the course as possible. (Note: This letter lists the appropriate accommodations, but does not reveal the specific disability.)
  4. You must contact the disability specialist and request academic adjustment letters at the beginning of each semester.


Photo by Glenn Carstens-Peters on Unsplash


One thought on “Disability Services: How to Request Academic Accommodations

  1. I have had the pleasure of working with Mr. Watson over the last so many years. He has been an inspiration along with a well spring of information. I did not even think my disability was worthy of reporting but Mr. Watson walked me through every step and I would not be an upper class student without his help. I now even want to apply to graduate school for my masters. It has taken me a little longer because my health has not let me attend full time (I get as close as 3/4 ) but this service has given me the confidence to dream big and achieve big.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *