With more than 645,000 Penn State alumni, chances are that you’ll run into someone from this network of thousands, whether you’re traveling down the block or around the globe! You can join this network as a World Campus student or as a graduate, and reap many benefits at the different stages of your educational experience with Penn State. Here’s how:
Student Participation in the Penn State Alumni Association: The Blue & White Society
You may be thinking right now, “I haven’t graduated yet, so why I am even considering joining the Penn State Alumni Association?” As a student of Penn State World Campus, you have an opportunity to join the association while you are taking classes online. The Penn State Alumni Association has its own student membership group, The Blue & White Society, which allows you to get a jump-start on many of the activities of the association. The fee to join is only $15 a year, and you can begin reaping the benefits, including:
- networking opportunities – Become part of a very powerful network to help you secure internships, potential careers, and meaningful career advice.
- exclusive perks/merchandise – Receive complimentary items, such as the limited edition Blue & White Society t-shirt.
- member discounts – Get 10% off at all Penn State Bookstore locations on your essential school supplies.
Graduate Participation in the Penn State Alumni Association
No matter which Penn State campus you are a part of, the Penn State Alumni Association provides amazing benefits, including:
- access to the University Libraries upon graduation
- information on Alumni Career Services, such as the Nittany Lion Alumni Career Network in which you can post your résumé, and search for job openings. They provide career fairs, career networking events, webinars and workshops, as well as résumé critiques.
- receiving award-winning publications, such as The Penn Stater Magazine, AlumnInsider, and The Football Letter.
The Penn State World Campus Alumni Society
Each campus has its own student membership group of the Penn State Alumni Association, and the World Campus is no different. The World Campus Alumni Society has recently been chartered to connect World Campus graduates to each other and expand career and social opportunities. When you sign up for the Penn State Alumni Association, you are automatically a member of the Penn State World Campus Alumni Society by virtue of graduating from the World Campus. You receive all the benefits of the Penn State Alumni Association plus some exclusive benefits, such as online networking events where you can interact with other World Campus graduates. You can also become a part of the Alumni Ambassadors, to connect and interact with potential students who may have questions about the World Campus. You also get the opportunity to have a voice in supporting and growing the World Campus by choosing to be a part of a committee.
Since graduating in 2013, I have been an active voice for Penn State World Campus. As an Alumni Ambassador, I have been able to meet and share with many potential students (online) my own experiences with the World Campus. As an active member of the Penn State Alumni Association, I was recently selected to be on the Board of Directors for the Penn State World Campus Alumni Society. I am also the chair of the Alumni Outreach and Engagement Committee.
I urge you to get a jump-start on joining the Penn State Alumni Association by joining the Blue & White Society as a student so you can reap the benefits. Become involved with the various events held in your area, and create that network, both personally and professionally.