As we focus this summer on themes that promote wellness, our discussion for July will center around how important it is to connect with those around us and with our own values, goals, and strengths.
“Connection is why we’re here and gives purpose and meaning to our lives,” said Dr. Brené Brown. Dr. Brown has devoted her career to helping others become more wholehearted, and the way to accomplish that is through authentic connection. Her TED Talk on the topic, The Power of Vulnerability, is one of the top-5 most popular TED Talks of all time. When we consider our well-being and connection to ourselves, our values, goals, and strengths are essential. Connection to others is also an essential ingredient, but connection isn’t always easy just because it is key.
July: Connections to Ourselves and Others
This spotlight highlights some ways to connect back to yourself and ways to connect and show up for others. These resources are curated considering current events happening across the globe and within the United States over the past few months, including the COVID-19 pandemic as well as calls for racial justice following the murders of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Tony McDade, Breonna Taylor, and others.
- Race, Our Campus Climate, and the Workplace: June 30, 3:00–5:00 p.m. (ET)
- LinkedIn Deeper Dive: Maximizing Your Network, Groups & Internship/Job Search Tools: July 20, 8:00–9:00 p.m. (ET)
- Connect to your personal goals, values, and strengths
- Personally reflect on participation in racially unjust systems
- Practice self-care for racial trauma
- Show up for others during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Sign up for the World Campus Virtual Firecracker 5k, happening July 1–8, and invite a friend or family member to join you!
- Connect with a different person you care about each day for one week and really check in with them.
- Complete the 21-Day Racial Equity Habit-Building Challenge
- Take the You@PSU reality check self-assessments to better help you Succeed, Thrive, and Matter
- Take this free survey to identify your character strengths
If you’re interested in learning about the mind-body connection to wellness, check out the June Wellness Spotlight.