Updating Information in the Penn State Directory

Having the correct information in the Penn State Directory is important for all students. This information is used in a number of situations, for example, if staff need to call a student about their tuition bill, exam issues, or proctor information. Penn State also uses your contact information for mailings, such as your diploma after graduation.

How do I update my directory information?

You can change your address or telephone number by visiting your eLion account. Other online directory information can be changed by visiting the ITS secure server.

What is directory information?

Directory information is designated to include the following:

  1. Name
  2. Address (local, permanent residence, and electronic mail)
  3. Telephone number
  4. Class level (semester, class, or level: first-year, sophomore, junior, etc.)
  5. Major
  6. Student activities
  7. Weight/height (athletic teams)
  8. Date(s) of attendance
  9. Enrollment status (full-time, part-time, or not enrolled)
  10. Date of graduation
  11. Degrees and awards received and where received
  12. Most recent educational institution attended

What happens if I choose to withhold my directory information?

When you withhold your directory information, it is not released publicly, which results in the following:

  • Your name/address is excluded from the Penn State Directory and printed telephone directories.
  • Your name will not appear in the commencement program.
  • Verification of enrollment, graduation, or degrees awarded will not be provided to third parties, including potential employers.
  • No information will be released to any person via telephone or email.
  • Address changes must be made only by you. You can change your address using the eLion system, in person at any Penn State campus registrar’s office, or by mailing a written request, along with a copy of photo identification, to any Penn State campus registrar’s office.

For more information on how to withhold your directory information, as well as how to release your directory information if it is withheld, visit the World Campus website.