There are many ways to search for jobs – networking, targeted searches, the internet, employment agencies, and career or job fairs. But did you know that as a Penn State student you have an additional way to connect with a national pool of employers who are seeking PSU students and grads?
The Nittany Lion Career Network is an online job posting database that allows you to upload a resume and search for job postings and leads. Because you’re a Penn Stater, you already have an account. You simply need to log on to the NLCN and complete your profile, which includes information about your academic and employment background.
Once your profile is completed, you will be able to browse the job listings. There are two types of listings:
Job postings: these are currently available openings, and can include full-time, part-time or internship opportunities.
Job leads/prospects: if an employer doesn’t have any openings right now, but anticipates having some in the future, they can post a listing seeking interested candidates. When jobs do become available at this employer, you will automatically become an applicant for those positions.
There are other things you can do with an NLCN account, including:
- Research organizations (look under the Employer tab)
- Participate in online resume books (employers use the books to find qualified candidates)
- Receive announcements about upcoming events and job fairs
- Search for a list of employers attending career fairs
Things to remember
- Check back regularly – employers post jobs on a daily/weekly basis
- Your NLCN account is only for you (you may not submit a resume for anyone else)
- You can search for job openings by industry, geographic preference, and more
Log into your account today to see if any positions meet your career goals. And thanks to Penn State Career Services for making this valuable resource available!